Episode 04: What to Wear & Bring
Welcome back to the ACC show notes, Hoosiers. In this micro-ep, we’re bringing you a couple of hot tips on what to wear and bring to a career fair. I’ll summarize what we talked about here:
What to Wear
Hair: Wear your hair so that it’s out of your face and styled in a way that helps you feel confident, like your best self. You can get a haircut, wear it natural, put it up in a ponytail, or make it fancy — it’s your choice
Fingernails & hands: clean.
Business professional: Check out the links at the bottom of the show notes for LOTS of info about what this means. Basically:
- Keep it fancy and conservative.
- Dress up like you’re going to be giving a TED Talk on a fancy stage.
- Jeans, shorts, sweat pants, and athletic clothes are OUT.
- Slacks, dress pants, nice skirts and dresses, blouses, and button-downs are IN.
- Not sure where to find this stuff? Try Macy’s, Target, My Sister’s Closet, Vintage Vogue, and Plato’s Closet – all of which are in Bloomington.
Shoes: Don’t bother with high heels unless you want to. Athletic, dirty or beaten-up shoes are OUT. Some choices are ballet flats, dress shoes or boots, clean sneakers, slip-ons or loafers are IN.
Scent: Make sure you’ve showered and put on deodorant. There’s no need for perfume, cologne or body spray because some people are allergic to it and it can leave a bad impression.
What to Bring
- 5-10 copies of your resume
- A padfolio, or a notepad and a folder
- Something to write with
- Hand sanitizer
- Leave your backpacks at home.
There is SO MUCH INFO on the Internet about how to dress professionally, and about what to bring to a career fair. Here are just two of my favorite links:
And, you can always find more info about the Career + Internship Fair & the Walter Center here: