How’s it going, IU? In today’s micro-episode, we talk about how next-day interviews (which happen right after career fair) work.
Getting the Call
If you impress an employer when you talk to them at the fair, they might ask you to sign up for a next-day interview on the spot. More commonly, they’ll call you at the number listed on your resume after 7 pm on the day of the career fair. So, keep your phone on and charged, and pick up if you get a call from an unfamiliar number!
In either case, make sure to write down the time of your interview. Don’t forget about it, be late, or double-book yourself with multiple interviews at the same time.
If you can’t make it to your interview or you’re running late, call the Walter Center team ASAP. We can let your interviewer know what’s going on! You can reach a real, live Walter Center staff person during next-day interviews at 812-855-0576.
Before the Interview
- Plan your parking or bus route before you leave: remember, there’s no discounted or fully compensated parking for students that park in the IMU lots
- Print another copy of your resume and bring it with you
- Come to the IMU (Spring 2019: next-day interviews will be at Alumni Hall)
- Check in with your student ID card 15 minutes in advance of the interview
What to Expect
- Take a seat (and a few deep breaths) in the waiting area
- Your interviewer will come to find you there. Be listening for your name.
- Most interviews take 30 minutes
- At the end of the interview, make sure to ask your interviewer for their business card. This will let you write them a thank-you note.
- Ask about the next steps in the hiring process, and when you should expect to hear from them about your candidacy.
- Express enthusiasm for the job, and say thank you for the interview.
- Stop by the Walter Center check-in table to write a thank-you card for your interviewer. We’ll make sure to deliver it to them personally on your behalf!
If you’re feeling a little shaky about your interviewing skills, here are a few great, quick guides to help get you on the right track:
- Walter Center Guide: How to Prepare for an Interview
- NACE: 14 Tips for a Successful Interview
- NACE: Interview Rubric
- NACE: What Interviewers Want to Know
- NACE: Tough Questions Interviewers Ask & How to Answer Them
And you can find all your usual Walter Center connections here:
- 2019 Winter Career + Internship Fair
- How to schedule a career coaching appointment
- IU Walter Center website