When you pose for a picture, do you ever feel like you suddenly have no idea what to do with your arms, your face, or your entire body? Navigating in-person networking for the first time can feel a lot like that awkward moment.
Networking Ninja Toni Neely, Director of Member Relations for the Indianapolis Chamber of Commerce and a 1990 alumna from Indiana University Bloomington, empathizes with college students as you put yourself out there as young professionals and interact with other professionals for the first time. In her conversation with career coach Maria Cambone, Toni shares ideas for how you can take baby steps to get yourself started networking with professionals in person, and how networking can open amazing doors in your career journey.
Connect with Toni Neely
More Networking Resources
- The Secret to Authentic Networking
- Networking Advice for the Person Who Is Very Unclear About Career Goals
- The Networking Advice No One Tells You
- 10 Ways to Have Better Conversations TED Talk with radio host Celeste Headlee
- The Art of Manliness Podcast: Networking Without “Networking” with John Corcoran
- Skip the Job Boards, Go on Informational Interviews
- Decolonizing Networking
- LinkedIn For Students: A guide to creating a strong LinkedIn profile and social media plan
Ask A Career Coach
Don’t necessarily have time for a coaching appointment, but have questions anyway? College of Arts + Sciences students can use Ask a Coach and we’ll respond to questions you may have about networking, career decision-making, and job search strategies.