This is a recording of the Media Career Chats Beyond The Newsroom segment: insights from IU alumni with careers in news reporting, an interactive panel organized by the Media School and the Walter Center for Career Achievement. Students engaged with IU alumni during an informative hour to learn how to manage life post-graduation, find a job, and launch their career in news reporting.
Tips & Resources from the Panelists:
Panelists offered these tips and resources throughout the session through the chat feature.
- Join writing organizations early and learn from your live edits.
- Don’t be afraid to plan your career path.
- If you can study abroad and chase new experiences.
- Create your own support network and ask lots of questions.
- Connections and Networking the keys to making transitions in your career and into other industries outside of journalism.
- Connect with the notable professors in the Media school and reach out to IU Alumni.
- Embrace uncomfortable situations and be yourself!
- Do the hard work and be consistent in your daily work.
- Diversify your skills during your time at IU through clubs, projects, and various courses.
- Reach out and don’t be afraid to ask for help.
Please reach out to our guests and continue career chats via the Walter Center Success Network or WCSN which is the college of arts and sciences online networking platform and is a great way to stay connected with IU alumni in the field.