Application Instructions for ASCS-X373, MSCH-X472, MSCH-X474, ABEH-X473, and BIOL-X473:
Ready to apply for one of the these internship courses? Here’s how.
- Make sure to read about individual course requirements:
- ASCS-X373 (More information below)
- MSCH-X472 (Media & Game Design Majors)
- MSCH-X474 (Journalism Majors)
- ABEH-X473 (Animal Behavior Majors)
- BIOL-X473 (Biology, Microbiology, and Biotechnology Majors)
- IU POLS DC Internship Program
- ASCS-X375 (For full-time student status – more information below)
- Log into your Career Link account.
- Click the My Account tab and select “Internship Credit Application” from the drop down menu. If this is not an option, contact us at (812) 856-4278 or email@example.com.
- On the following page, select the “Add New Experience” button. Complete the application form and click the “Submit” button. You will receive a confirmation email shortly and will hear back on the status of your application within five business days. Note: You must select a work term that includes “ASCS” as the prefix (for example, “ASCS Fall 2017”). If you do not select an ASCS work term, your application will not be processed.
You can view the status of your application on the Internship Credit Application page. It will appear as Pending until our internship committee either approves or rejects your application. After we receive your application, we will contact your supervisor and request a description of the internship. Once we have collected the necessary information, we will determine whether the internship can be approved. If we approve your internship, we will provide instructions for you to register for the course.
If your application is rejected:
If your application is rejected, your status will change from Pending to ! Not Approved. Choose “Review” to see comments from our internship committee at the top of the page. You can return to the Internship Credit Application page and press the “Edit” button to update your application. Once you have made the necessary changes, press the “Resubmit” button. You should hear from the internship committee within five business days.
If your application is approved:
If your application is approved, your status will change from Pending to Approved and you will receive an email notifying you that you are able to register for the course.
Spring semester: Application Opens: Nov. 5 | Application Closes: Feb. 1
Summer semester – Application Opens: March 5 | Application Closes: June 1
Fall semester – Application Opens: July 2 | Application Closes: Oct. 1
If you have questions:
If you have questions, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-856-4278.
Learn More About ASCS-X373: Theory – Into Practice (1-3 credits):
Getting real-world experience should be a big part of your liberal arts and sciences education at IU. Internship courses make it possible to earn academic credit for your internship. While you should always speak to your academic advisor about the best route for you to receive internship credit, you can also apply to receive credit through ASCS-X373, the Walter Center for Career Achievement’s internship course. To qualify for ASCS-X373, you must:
- Be an undergraduate
- Have a GPA of 2.0 or above
- Have at least 24 credit hours completed prior to the start of the course
- First complete your department’s internship course, if applicable.
Before you apply for ASCS-X373, ask your academic advisor if your department offers internship credit – you should always fulfill your department’s internship credit option before applying to ASCS-X373.
Grades assigned to X373 are either Satisfactory or Fail (S or F). Read more about grades at Student Central.
The fees for X373 are the same as any other credit-bearing course. You can use the Office of the Bursar’s tuition estimator to estimate your semester fees.
Please note: You cannot begin counting hours/weeks toward X373 until your job description and enrollment verification form has been signed, and the approval process is complete.
Learn More About ASCS-X375: Full-Time Status Internship Assignment (1-3 credits):
This course is very similar to ASCS-X373, except that it provides students with “full-time student status” while working in a full-time internship (40 hours/week). This can be helpful for loan and scholarship disbursement, but students are encouraged to speak with their scholarship and loan providers to ensure that this course will provide them the necessary status to receive their aid. Assignments, credit hour requirements, and all other coursework is identical to ASCS-X373 (see below). If you have questions about this course, please contact Justin Zuschlag at email@example.com or (812)-855-0577.
Eligibility and Course Requirements for ASCS-X373 and ASCS-X375:
If eligible for ASCS-X373 or X375, you have the opportunity to earn between one and three academic credits for your internship experience. To qualify for X373 or X375 enrollment, your internship must meet the following criteria:
- No hours will be counted until your internship is approved in the application process.
- Internships must occur during the same semester in which you are seeking credit.
- It must enhance your career development or offer the opportunity to apply knowledge you’ve gained in the classroom to real-world scenarios. The internship must not exist to simply advance the operations of the employer or replace the work that a regular employee would routinely perform.
- The skills and knowledge learned must be transferable to other employment settings.
- The experience must have a defined beginning and end, and a job description outlining projects, duties, and/or responsibilities; please ensure that your employer pays close attention to this requirement when entering your job description.
- There are clearly defined learning objectives/goals related to your academic coursework or professional goals.
- There is supervision by a professional with expertise and educational and/or professional background in the field of the experience.
- There is routine feedback from the experienced supervisor.
- There are resources, equipment, and facilities provided by the host employer that support learning objectives/goals.
If you meet the above criteria, use the information below to decide if you would like to apply for one, two, or three credits. The more credits you choose, the more hours and coursework you will be required to complete to receive a Satisfactory (S) grade in the course.
1 credit: You will need to log at least 50 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. In addition to logging these hours, you are required to schedule one check-in meeting with the X373/X375 course instructor (which can be completed via phone or online). You will also submit two 500-word essays, to be collected at the midway point of your internship and during your final week of work.
2 credits: You will need to log at least 100 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. In addition to logging these hours, you are required to schedule two check-in meetings with the X373/X375 course instructor (which can be completed via phone or online). You will also submit two 750-word essays, to be collected at the midway point of your internship and during your final week of work.
3 credits: You will need to log at least 150 hours of work at your internship site during the semester in which you are receiving credit. In addition to logging these hours, you are required to schedule three check-in meetings with the X373/X375 course instructor (which can be completed via phone or online). You will also submit two 1,000-word essays, to be collected at the midway point of your internship and during your final week of work.
Note: The maximum number of credits hours you can earn for an internship is three credits, regardless of the number of hours you work. You cannot exceed six lifetime credit hours of ASCS-X373/X375 enrollment. You cannot earn credit for an internship you’ve already completed.
Ready to apply? See the instructions above.