Turn Your Internship Into Class Credit
The College of Arts + Sciences provides students with the opportunity to earn academic credit toward graduation while building their professional skills through internship experiences.
Which Course is Right for you?
Ask your academic advisor which course is right for you — some departments offer internship credit and you should fulfill your department’s option first.
- ABEH-X473: Animal Behavior Internship Course
- ASCS-X373 + X375: Arts + Sciences Internship Course
- BIOL-X473: Biology, Microbiology, and Biotechnology Internship Course
- HIST-X473: History Internship Course
- IU POLS DC: IU Internship in Politics, Opportunity, Leadership, Social Entrepreneurship program
- MSCH-X474: Journalism Internship Course
- MSCH-X472: Media Internship Course
Start Your Application
Open & Close Dates: 🌷 Spring: Nov. 5 – Feb. 1. ☀️ Summer: March 5 – June 1. 🍂 Fall: July 2 – Oct 1.
Follow these instructions to submit your application for internship credit through Handshake.
- Click the above button, choose Indiana University-Bloomington if prompted, and log in with your IU email and passphrase.
- Click the blue Request an Experience button
- On the following page, use Experience Type to choose the relevant course. Use Term to select your chosen semester.
- Complete all of the remaining fields
- Click the green Request Experience button on the bottom of the page! You’ll be taken to a page that displays your newly-completed application.
And voilà! You’ll receive an email to confirm your application and in 2-5 weeks you’ll be notified of the application’s approval or denial. Click the above button again and select your pending experience to check up on your application at any time.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I see the status of my application?
Login to Handshake using your IU email and passphrase. From the top navigation of Handshake, select the Career Center button on the top right. On the Indiana University-Bloomington page, select the Experiences button. From here, you should see any submitted experiences and their current status.
How do I register for a course?
The Walter Center will provide course registration instructions once your application has been approved.
What happens when my application is rejected? Can I reapply?
If your application is rejected, you will receive an e-mail from Handshake that says “Experience Approval Halted.” The e-mail will include any additional information the course instructor or internship site supervisor included in their rejection. If you’d like to resubmit your application with suggested changes from the course instructor or internship supervisor, contact us at email@example.com or (812)-856-4278 and we can restart your approval process.
What happens when my application is approved?
You will be notified via your IU email that you were approved and receive instructions on how to register for the course.
How long will it take for my application to be approved?
The length of time it takes for your application to be approved is dependent upon your supervisor’s response time. We recommend you tell your supervisor to look for an email from firstname.lastname@example.org and click the link.
Do I have to pay for internship credit?
The course fees for internship courses are the same as any other credit-bearing course.
Calculate Semester Fees