IU is Everywhere
Thanks to the generous support from IU College of Arts + Sciences alumni, our students are able to expand their educations and gain hands-on experiences in cities around the world.
Apply for a Scholarship
Spring 2020 Deadline: Nov. 23, 2019. | Summer 2020 Deadline: March 14, 2020.
The Walter Center for Career Achievement is excited to offer over $100,000 in scholarships to eligible College of Arts + Sciences students planning to complete an internship to help defray the cost of travel and housing during an internship. By completing the application, you will be considered for each scholarship the Walter Center has to offer.
View Available Scholarships
- Walter Center Internship Scholarship supports College of Arts + Sciences students pursuing summer internships across industries. Funding is not available to students graduating prior to completing their internship.
- Lawrence M Blatt Life Sciences Internship Scholarshipsupports undergraduate and graduate life science majors in the College of Arts + Sciences who are pursuing internships at a life science company or institution. Students must intern with a life science company or an organization focused on life science, but it is not required for the internship to have a strict scientific focus.
- Steve and Jane Malashock Fine Arts Internship Scholarship: supports undergraduate students in the College of Arts + Sciences who are pursuing internships with arts organizations in relation to art, design, or art history. Preference is given to studio art majors, then art history, fashion design, and apparel merchandising majors.
- Lewis E. Wright Memorial Internship Scholarship: supports undergraduate students in the College of Arts + Sciences who have secured internships with non-profit organizations outside of Indiana University.
View Eligibility Requirements
- Student must obtain a signed internship offer from their internship site (Internship Funding consideration is dependent on this document.)
- Spring/Summer/Fall internships must take place during the respective term.
- Students must be enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate degree program within the College of Arts + Sciences
- Students must complete an online application– which requires contact information for the intern’s supervisor and a brief job description outlining the projects, tasks, and goals related to the internship opportunity, as well as a signed offer letter
from the internship provider
- If you are pursuing an internship abroad, we recommend that you read these guidelines from the Office of Overseas Study
- The following guidelines from the U.S. Department of Labor must be met for unpaid internships in the for-profit sector:
– The internship, even though it includes actual operation of the facilities of the employer, is similar to training which
would be given in an educational environment;- The internship experience is for the benefit of the intern;- The intern does not displace regular employees, but works under close supervision of existing staff;
– The employer that provides the training derives no immediate advantage from the activities of the intern; and on occasion, its operations may actually be impeded;
– The intern is not necessarily entitled to a job at the conclusion of the internship;
– The employer and the intern understand that the intern is not entitled to wages for the time spent in the internship.
View Selection Process
- Students submit a completed scholarship application.
- Applications are reviewed by the Walter Center for Career Achievement after scholarship deadlines have passed.
- Internship employers are contacted by the Walter Center for Career Achievement to verify the internship opportunity.
- Students are notified of approval or rejection./li>
- Funds are distributed through student bursar account.
- Approved students are contacted after completing their internship and asked to share their experiences.
Internships completed at an Indiana University office or organization will not receive funding priority. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or (812) 856-4278 with any questions or concerns.