MCLEAN HOSPITAL RESEARCH ASSISTANT
LABORATORY FOR BRAIN AND COGNITIVE HEALTH TECHNOLOGY
The Laboratory for Brain and Cognitive Health Technology (BaCH Tech Lab) at McLean Hospital (a Harvard Medical School hospital) seeks two highly-skilled and motivated candidates for appointment as full-time research assistants starting June 2021! The BaCH Tech Lab works at the intersection of cognitive health, technology development, and participant engagement to understand how cognition is associated with variations in physiology and psychological status. See the lab website (cognitivehealth.tech) or online research laboratory (testmybrain.org) for more information. Successful candidates will support the NIMH funded ThreatSense project, which seeks to identify and validate measures of threat sensitivity for characterizing (1) differences between people that are related to risk for mental disorders, and (2) differences in the same person over time that are associated with fluctuations in fear, anxiety, and depressed mood. The current positions will include both technical and lab administrative responsibilities, and the candidate should expect to receive on the job training in the management of web software and databases, analysis of large datasets, as well as study administration and support.
McLean Hospital is a comprehensive psychiatric hospital committed to providing easy access to superior quality, cost-effective mental health services in the Boston area, Massachusetts and beyond. Since 1811, McLean Hospital has been a world leader in the treatment of mental illness and chemical dependency, research into the cause of mental illness and the training of generations of mental health care providers. McLean’s multidisciplinary programs treat a broad range of psychiatric illnesses across the full continuum of care.
Responsibilities will include:
1. Scientific software development for digital neuropsychology and the measurement of threat information processing, including building custom studies and questionnaires and refine cognitive tests
2. Data analysis activities including statistical programming in R to process large datasets of cognitive test data
3. Administrative duties including scheduling, project management, liaising with partners and collaborators as well as other McLean staff, and preparing documents for broad dissemination.
4. Study support activities, including recruiting, enrolling, consenting, and communicating with research participants as part of the multisite Threat Sense study.
5. Research support activities including work with local Institutional Review Boards, coordinating and running research studies, participant / patient recruitment, managing and analyzing research data, preparing grants and manuscripts for publication, as well as literature reviews.
6. Mentoring other lab members in the development of technical and research skills
7. Other activities, as needed, in support of the BaCH Tech Lab.
All McLean team members are expected to consistently demonstrate our values of integrity, compassion, respect, diversity, teamwork, excellence and innovation in their work activities and interactions.
McLean/Harvard Medical School strongly encourages applications from females and minority candidates. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, McLean seeks qualified candidates for all posted employment opportunities without regard to race, color, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability or veteran status.
We are currently accepting applications and will continue accepting applications until the position is filled.
Send cover letter, curriculum vitae, and the names / email addresses of three references to:
Dr. Laura Germine
115 Mill St.
Belmont, MA 02478
• Excellent interpersonal skills are required for working with study participants and collaborators.
• Good oral and written communication skills.
• Excellent organization skills and ability to prioritize a variety of tasks.
• Careful attention to detail.
BS or BA degree required.
Relevant course or project work.
All employees must possess basic computer skills to use a variety of electronic or online systems for communication, clinical and administrative purposes. Advanced computer skills are preferred.
It is the policy of McLean Hospital to affirmatively provide equal opportunity to all qualified applicants for employment and existing employees without regard to their race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, ancestry, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis that would be in violation of any applicable law or regulation.