LEGAL SUPPORT SPECIALIST – Minneapolis, MN
BACKGROUND: Mid-Minnesota Legal Aid (Legal Aid) provides a full range of free civil legal services to low-income persons, elderly persons, and persons with disabilities. Legal Aid is supported by funding from the State of Minnesota, the federal government, local governments, the United Way, foundations, local law firms and corporations, etc. Legal Aid enjoys a good rapport with, and strong support from, the organized bar. Legal Aid does not receive funds from the Legal Services Corporation.
POSITION SUMMARY: The legal support specialist combines the skills of a legal assistant and legal secretary. The person will perform both administrative and litigation duties as requested by the assigned attorneys. Legal Assistant duties will include responsibility for litigation support including serving as a point of contact for case team attorneys; assisting with the drafting of discovery documents and other discovery-related tasks; reviewing and analyzing pleadings; assigning coding/bate stamping schemes to documents and/or exhibits; efiling and eserving through the various court systems; and other litigation support tasks as needed. Secretarial duties will include generating documents utilizing word processing, spreadsheet, database, and litigation software; organization, and maintenance of files and case calendars; client communications; and other administrative tasks as needed. The person will also provide back-up to others on the support staff team.
– Ability and desire to relate to Legal Aid’s client community
– Self-motivated and a team player
– Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects and work under strict deadlines
– Strong attention to detail
– Strong written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills
– Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, Excel, and Outlook
– Ability to learn new technologies, software systems, and processes as they are deployed
– Advanced proofreading, formatting, and editing skills. Ability to organize and maintain large volumes of electronic and paper files
– Knowledge of litigation process, including document production and other discovery projects, document management, coding and scanning procedures, trial procedures, and efiling/eserving
– Proficiency with a PDF manipulation software such as Adobe Acrobat or Foxit Phantom, electronic discovery processing, document imaging applications, and litigation support applications
– Paralegal certificate or comparable experience
– Typing skills of at least 65 wpm
SALARY/BENEFITS: Non-exempt position. The starting full-time salary is $31,546 to $40,949, depending on experience. Benefits include family health insurance, life insurance, short-term and long-term disability insurance, vacation, and sick leave.
APPLICATIONS: Resume and a cover letter explaining interest in the position should be submitted online at www.mylegalaid.org/employment by June 29, 2020.
Late applications will be considered until the position is filled. No calls please.
An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Women, minorities, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply
How to Apply