NABJ-Apple News Fellowship
Apple News provides millions of users with trusted journalism from leading news organizations around the globe. The opportunity to work on the Apple News editorial team — and to collaborate with editors from Apple News’s publisher partners — is a chance to gain valuable skills and insight from a newsroom that is revolutionizing how consumers access world-class
The program is designed to give exposure to each of the key editorial areas (e.g.,Top Stories, Spotlight, Audio, etc.). After three months’ rotation, the selected candidate and mentors from Apple News will select a single focus area for the remainder of the program. They will also spearhead at least one independent project, with support from the team leader and their manager, which they will be invited to present to the full Apple News editorial team.
The fellowship-recipient will have weekly one-on-one meetings with both their manager and mentor to check in on progress and answer any questions.
• Curate content with an emphasis on quality, accuracy, and context
• Write sharp and engaging display copy to drive engagement to stories the editorial team highlights from Apple News’s publishing partners
• Craft plans for covering major news events
• Communicate directly with editors from News’s publishing partners
• Work with the News Standards team to ensure their work meets all curation requirements and standards
• Understand the critical metrics for your projects and — with News leadership — work toward them strategically
• Play an active role in communicating and explaining their work to an internal Apple audience
• Share takeaways from your projects with the editorial team and to the larger News organization
ASSIGNMENT DATES & COMPENSATION
• June 2021- February 2022
• Three months rotating through the various editorial teams
• Six months developing expertise in one area
• $40/hour, full-time
• One-week expenses-paid visit to the other Apple News office (A New York–based fellow would visit our Cupertino, California, HQ; a Bay Area–based, fellow would visit our NYC office.)
• End-of-fellowship presentation to the full Apple News Editorial team
• Current NABJ member in good standing; to join NABJ, please select “Join” at https://nabjonline.org/
• Strong background and interest in editing and curation, keen news judgment, and an eye for breaking and developing stories
• Must be willing to work out of Apple’s offices in New York City or Cupertino for the duration of the fellowship, pending state health laws and guidance
• Must be a recent graduate (graduating by May 2021) enrolled at an accredited U.S. college or university during the time of the fellowship or fewer than three years experience in journalism
• Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or above (on a 4.0 scale) verified by an official transcript if enrolled in an accredited university or college in the U.S.
• Must have a degree in journalism, communications, or a related area, or have previous experience at a digital or print publication (Student publications are eligible.)
• Must be committed to pursuing a career in digital journalism
• Completion of the application form
Application Deadline – midnight (PT) on April 9, 2021
Contact email@example.com if you have any questions.