State Affairs offers high quality, subscription-based, investigative journalism that covers statehouse news. All politics is local, but local
journalism has atrophied to crisis levels across the country. While national news is saturated with coverage, the U.S. urgently needs deep
dives into local power centers that shape the laws that govern Americans’ lives. Our mission is to make statehouse politics and politicians
accountable by filling that void with daily commentary and investigative reporting. Officials in Washington, D.C., can’t be the only leaders whose actions, votes, spending, and ethics are subject to the civic disinfectant of rigorous journalistic oversight.
Role: Investigative Journalist – Full Time
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic, investigative reporter to be the cornerstone and lead for their state. Developing deep-dive
stories to inform the public on what’s really going on within their state governments, and how it affects their lives.
● Take time to research and investigate full length pieces that break stories into mainstream conversation – 1-2/month
● Create context and connect these stories to peoples’ lives and explain the potential impact by comparing/contrasting with other
scenarios to provide a better understanding through relative positioning
● Focus on incorporating objective data, citing credible experts who have worked on the topic, gathering context from other states
where appropriate, and ‘following the money’ for corruption or ROI-type stories
● Desire to not only uncover the likely corruption that is occuring due to the current state of affairs, but also contextualize more
general topics and how it affects constituents day-to-day lives
● This position will be supported by the editorial board, copy editors, infographic designers, and the founders of the company
Role: Lead Correspondent – Full Time
We are looking for an experienced, dynamic and creative correspondent to bring this complex state to life through daily analysis and
insights as well as breaking news and live journalism. We are looking to build a large, devout readership in your state and we are seeking
someone steeped in how the state’s biggest issues intersect with politics.
● Ability to provide analysis and quickly contextualize the news and events to tell readers what matters on a daily basis, while writing
in a way that enlightens both novices and experts
● Track record of breaking exclusive stories, writing with a distinctive voice that is plain spoken and fun to read
● Thinks creatively about storytelling forms and can connect stories to peoples’ lives to explain its potential impact
● A team player eager to travel widely through the state and create and manage a stringer network of contributors
● Brings a focus on incorporating data, citing credible experts who have worked on the topic, and gathers context from other states
● Has an entrepreneurial spirit that is excited about building a team, presence, and product in your state
● This position will be supported by the editorial board, copy editors, infographic designers, the SA Lead Investigator, and the
founders of the company
For more information and background on State Affairs, click here.
For more information and to express interest, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.