WFHB in Bloomington, IN is seeking a passionate, community-minded journalist to work as our Assistant News Director. Our News Department reflects WFHB’s mission to “provide an open forum for the exchange and discussion of ideas and issues, and to celebrate and increase the local cultural diversity.”
The majority of this job is covering local government in Bloomington and Monroe County. The ideal candidate is able to report not only what is discussed at government meetings but also what is not discussed – and why. Other responsibilities include generating story ideas, helping and mentoring volunteer journalists, and otherwise filling in where needed.
We are seeking someone with experience writing, reporting, and producing news programming, particularly for deadline-oriented broadcast operations. A journalism degree is preferred but not required.
General Duties and Responsibilities
The Assistant News Director serves as second-in-command to the News Director in operating the News Department in a manner consistent with the mission and policies of WFHB. The Assistant News Director carries out functions and assignments determined by the News Director.
Specific Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists the News Director in any way required with the operations of the WFHB News and Public Affairs Department and the programs it produces.
- Temporarily assumes responsibility for all News Department operations if the News Director should be absent or incapacitated.
- Helps coordinate programming produced in cooperation with our partner agencies.
- Works with staff from all partners to create content for multiple organizations.
- Two years of experience writing, reporting, and producing news programming, particularly for deadline-oriented broadcast operations.
- Up-to-date knowledge of accepted industry standards of ethics, fairness and accuracy.
- Experience training and supervising employees and volunteers and administering organizational systems.
- Ability to inspire others and solve problems creatively.
- Journalism degree preferred.
- Knowledge of and experience in WFHB’s broadcast area preferred.
- Reports to the News Director.
- Works with WFHB volunteer staff, and staff at other agencies.
- Exercises direct supervision over all volunteer staff working within the News Department and indirect supervision of all volunteer staff working in all other departments.
The Assistant News Director is a part-time position with compensation based on experience. All candidates should send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.