Start Using Handshake at Indiana University
Handshake is the only place that connects you, Indiana University, and employers together. All of the jobs on Handshake are meant for students—in fact, Handshake has the most opportunities for students and new college grads of any job platform. It’s also the only place where employers are specifically recruiting College of Arts + Sciences students.
It’s also where you’ll make appointments with your career coach, attend virtual career fairs, and apply for internship credit.
Make a Career Coaching Appointment
Open Handshake and log in by choosing your school and using your IU username and passphrase. If it’s your first login, you’ll need to fill out some profile information first.
- Click on “Career Center” in the top right corner.
- Choose “Appointments” and then click “Schedule a New Appointment.”
- Choose “Walter Center for Career Achievement.”
(If you want to explore degree programs outside the College, choose “Learn more about careers in other IUB Schools.”)
- Choose a topic first, and then select your preferred time, date, career coach, and appointment medium.
- Confirm your appointment details and type a short note to your career coach detailing what you’d like to talk about in your appointment.
- Click the green “Request” button and you’re done! You’ll be emailed confirmation to your IU email address.
How to Register a Career Fair or RSVP for an Event
If this is your first time logging into Handshake, you will need to fill out some profile information first.
Open Handshake Register for the Fall 2020 Career + Internship Fair
- Sign in at indiana.joinhandshake.com
- Click on “Events”
- Click on “Career Fair” next to the search bar, scroll down to browse, or use the filters to narrow down types of events.
- Choose the career fair or event you’d like to attend.
- Click the blue “RSVP for Event” or “Register” button on the right-hand side of the page.
- Done! You’ll recieve a confirmation email from Handshake — be sure to take a look for further instructions!
Create an Outstanding Profile
Your profile is the key to finding a job or internship on Handshake — 80% of students who fill out their profile receive a message from a recruiter. You’ll get personalized job recommendations based on the information you provide on your profile—so you can find jobs and internships that are right for you.
In addition to your major, Handshake also uses your job interests to recommend opportunities to you. Your job interests, which you can change and update any time, include:
- Job type: select part-time job, full-time job, or internship.
- Job location: choose the cities that you’d like to live and work in.
- Job roles: select at least three positions that interest you.
What are the top things employers search for?
After job interests, these are the most popular fields that employers use to find students they’d like to message:
- Work experience: Have you had a part-time job, internship, work study, research position or volunteered? Employers like to see that you’ve taken on responsibility, and that these experiences have helped you develop valuable skills.
- Skills: Add technical skills like SQL and soft skills like communication. The more skills you list, the better your chances are of showing up in an employer search.
- Clubs and organizations: These highlight your unique interests and involvement on campus.
Should I make my profile public?
Employers are able to find and view your profile only when you make it visible to them. So help employers find you! Make it public so you’ll show up when they’re searching for students to recruit for jobs and internships. You can also make your profile visible to other students, so you can connect with them for advice, or help them.
Don’t worry—your profile will not be public to employers that have not been approved by the Walter Center, or to anyone without a Handshake account.
Use Handshake on the Go
Download the Handshake App from the App Store or Google Play, to search and apply to jobs right from your phone. You’ll also be notified when you receive a message from an employer, be first to see new job postings, and can apply to jobs in two clicks with Quick Apply.