Be sure your resume is updated and ready to be shared with potential employers. If you need a little help putting the polish on your application materials, stop by the Career Studio for a little resume TLC.
Visit the Career Studio
Meet with one of our career coaches to help prioritize your goals, investigate potential employers, and frame your mindset going into a career fair or employer event.
Find a career coach
Know what you're going to ask (and what you're going to say)—it shows the employer you're serious about your job search.
Questions to ask about internships:
- What experiences might I have as an intern in your organization?
- Do you offer both paid internships and internships for academic credit?
- Do many of your interns become full-time employees after their internship?
- What is your favorite part about working for [name of organization]?
Questions to ask about jobs:
- What skills do you look for in potential candidates?
- What type of previous work experiences do you look for in candidates?
- What's the best way to apply, and how long does the process usually take?
- Will you be on campus to interview?
Questions recruiters may ask you:
- When are you available to begin working?
- Are you interested in full-time or internship opportunities?
- What kind of position are you looking for?
- Which geographic areas are you interested in?
- Why did you stop by our table today?
- May I have a copy of your resume?
Don't ask what positions the employers have; tell them what you're seeking. The best way to do this is with a prepared "pitch" or elevator speech, a 10- to 15-second introduction that includes:
- Who you are (your major, your interests)
- What you offer (skills, experience)
- What you're looking for (a good opportunity to show tailored interest in the company)
- A good follow-up question
Hi, I'm Bob Marks. I'm a junior at IU majoring in apparel merchandising. I did an internship last summer with a designer in New York and that really piqued my interest in designing clothes for customers with disabilities. I'm hoping to complete another internship in a related area this summer. I know your company recently developed a line of activewear for customers with disabilities. How did this innovative line come about?